3/6/11

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K Rowling



Genre: Children's Fantasy
Subject: A young boy finds out he is a wizard and enrolls in a school of magic
          I am already a huge Harry Potter fanatic, so when I say this book is great, I've had years to formulate that opinion. That being said, I am prepared to defend my opinion with reasoning. Rowling does an amazing job of world-building right within modern Britain. Rather than creating a new world where all that happens in this book could happen, she throws it right into modern society and has some very clever ways of making it work. The story is fun and exciting, and even though Harry isn't perfect, he is driven by an overall drive to do good, and for that he becomes very relatable. Controversy has surrounded this book, and others in the series, because of its use of magic. I say that if it gets kids reading and helps them enjoy books, I am all for recommending this book. It would be fun to work with as a group, and I would definitely recommend it to kids as a personal read.