1/21/11

The Cremation of Sam McGee by Robert Service



Genre: Poetry (Children's?)
Subject: One long poem set in the Yukon
          I am a little bit biased with this poem, as it has sentimental value to me. My grandfather, a huge poetry fan, introduced me to this one before he passed away from cancer. The poem is about exactly what the title implies, the cremation of a man named Sam McGee. The concept of this poem might not fit well with younger kids. However, the version of this poem that I read most recently had incorporated an amazing array of vivid paintings by Ted Harrison, as well as a number of historical details added into the pages. The paintings add to the mystical feel of the Yukon that Service puts in his poem, and I believe that this book in this version could still be a very nice read for slightly older children.