1/11/11

The New Kid on the Block by Jack Prelutsky



Genre: Children's Poetry
Subject: Funny, silly, and sometimes rude humor
          This was the first book of poetry I ever owned, and it was given to me as a child by my mother. I've read this book over and over since then, and it never gets old. The tone of Prelutsky's poems ranges from slightly silly to humorously revolting. The rhymes generally flow quite well. A majority of the poems are about food or made-up creatures, which easily appeals to younger readers. The drawings are simple and intentionally rough, but they add an extra bit of humor to the poems. Some of the best poems from this book are, in my opinion, "Bleezer's Ice Cream," "Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face," "When Tillie Ate the Chili," and "Bulgy Bunne." While all of the poems in this book are entertaining, these four in particular always bring a smile to my face. I would recommend this book to anyone, child or adult, who needs to see the humor in life.